Tuesday 22 November 2011

You know when....

you get an idea and it just has to be done regardless of other things going on around you?  Well I looked at Tim's blog last week and he had a link on there to thegentlemancrafter and I looked at the lovely robot on there and suddenly had the inspiration to use some of my configuration boxes into a snowman (how I got to a snowman from a robot I will never know - but get there I did) - so for the past 5 days whenever I have had a few spare minutes to sit in my craft room I been working on this:

this is the front of the advent - have made the brush from a paintbrush and raffia, the lantern is made from three of Tim's birdcages - honestly it was a lot trickier than it looks! the buttons and eyes are made from Tim's rosette dies and buttons (with stickles around the edges of the button rosettes), the mouth is made up from Tim's metal lock and spinners and the nose is an old metal disc with the word Wonderful on it.  The scarf was some fabulous crocheted material given to me by Chris at my crop and the robins I caved in and bought.

So, where is the advent calendar? I hear you ask, well if you turn the whole thing around you get this:


The Snowmen are from a sizzix long die and coloured with promarkers, I have doodled around the edges to define them and added pom poms here and there and used bling for their eyes and buttons.  The numbers are made from Tim's Upon a Time die and covered with glossy accents so they are nice and shiny.  The other bits decorating the boxes are from Tim's Festive Greenery die with some bits finished off with pearls and bling.  All the boxes, except the hat one, are painted white and inked with iced spruce - the hat is just painted black with one of Tim's Vintage Laces around the edge which is inked with Tea Dye.

Hope you like him! Now just need to go shopping and get all the bits and pieces to go in him!

Thanks for looking :) Oh and I won't be setting a fortnightly challenge today - sorry but too much going on at the moment! thanks for understanding.

13 comments:

Morag Cutts said...

Wow! What a great idea and so much work. You will be able to fit all sorts in those boxes

Bernice Hopper said...

I hope you are going to email the link to your page to Tim. Looks fabulous.

Hettie said...

Nicola this is absolutely fantastic. Brilliant! Well done.
I too saw that blog and it is awesome stuff and glad you saw it too.

Mrs A. said...

This is fab. Just from the front he is a fab piece of art but turn him around and you have done a brilliant job. I love him. Hugs Mrs A.

SueH said...

Oh wow Nicola, when you’re inspired, you really are inspired aren’t you!
That snowman is absolutely fantastic and I bet he looks really festive sitting on the side in your lounge.

Well done you!

Sue
x

Shoshi said...

Wow what an AWESOME project! So imaginative and fun! I love the use of the rosettes. I haven't made any of these yet, but you've inspired me to have a go. I love the face made with the clock hands! This is sooooooooo cooooooooool!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

That is absolutely gorgeous! What a fantastic idea.

Angie said...

I have just checked out your project ...he is so cute ...the idea is fantastic ...what patience you have.
Enjoy filling him ... maybe a lego person for 24th??

Neet said...

That is brill - love it and what a fab idea.

The Gentleman Crafter said...

That is the cutest thing I have ever seen! Oh my gosh! Now, how can I make my robot an advent! Hahaha! Thanks so much for showing us your AMAZING Snowperson! Great Job!

Dragon said...

OOOO missed him when I was spying!! He's FAB!!!
Frankie
xx

Nicki said...

WOW!!!!

I have found it and it's fantastic, infact I think I will make one next year :)

Thank you for your inspiration.

Nicki.xx

kay said...

Wow, it's awesome, keep up the good work x